If you love to cook, then you’ve likely encountered more than your fair share of dirty pots and pans. Though many minor stains can be removed by scrubbing them with soap and water, sometimes, you just can’t seem to get your favorite cookware clean. You might have even considered tossing the cookware in question altogether, thinking it might be easier to start over with a brand-new pan!
Fortunately, you need not throw away your beloved cookware after encountering a gnarly stain or patch of dried-on food. Here is a simple, 4-step plan from Real Simple Magazine that will help you restore your pans to their former glory. Best of all, you probably have most of the stuff you need on-hand!
You will need:
• White vinegar
• Scrubber sponge
• Pan scraper (find one at Target, Amazon, etc.)
• Baking soda
How to clean a burnt pan:
1. Deglaze with water: Add a layer of water to cover the bottom of the pan, then heat on the stovetop. Let the water simmer for a couple of minutes, then turn off the heat and carefully use a spatula or spoon to scrape away burnt bits.
2. Try it with vinegar: If deglazing with water didn't work, you can try the same technique with white vinegar on stainless steel or enameled cast iron pans. If you are working with an aluminum pan, skip this step.
3. Scrape off stuck-on food: Burnt-on food is the worst! To remove it, reach for a durable, dishwasher-safe pan scraper, which does exactly what it sounds like: scrapes away tough grime without scratching the surface of your cookware. Grab your pan scraper and apply a bit of elbow grease until the food bits come off.
4. Scrub it down: You should be able to remove most of the grit and grime on your pans following the above steps. But, just in case there are still a few brown or discolored areas, try this trick. Mix one part baking soda to one part warm water and scrub away the stains. Just be sure not to use this method on aluminum pans – stainless steel and enameled cast iron only!
River Park Apartments in Fort Worth, Texas is committed to making sure that our residents can live their best life! By taking advantage of our tips & tricks, we hope that you can easily maintain—and even improve— your normal routine.